Monday, July 22, 2013

Cyberknife surgery increasing survival rates for lung cancer patients

Lung cancer kills about 160,000 people in the U.S. every year.  One of the biggest problems: one-quarter of lung cancer patients are too sick, too old or too weak to survive surgery.  Until recently, there were few options, but now doctors are finding ways to beat the odds
Lung cancer is the deadliest cancer. It takes more lives than breast, prostate and colon cancer combined. So how did these women end up cancer-free?"
"When you first hear, 'You have cancer,' you don't expect to get over it like I did," said Frances Nirich, lung cancer survivor.
Nirich is one of about 55,000 people who are told they're too sick, too old or too weak for surgery. She enrolled in a study to see if the cyber-knife can help those who can't go under a real knife.
"While you're radiating a tumor that moves, you can hit it with millimeter precision," said Dr. Brian Collins, radiation oncologist at Georgetown University.
The device shoots radiation into the tumor without harming the rest of the lungs, even as the patient breathes in and out. A five-year study found cyber-knife destroyed 95 percent of tumors. The three-year survival rate: 80 percent. It's a big difference from traditional radiation, which destroys 30 percent of tumors and carries only a 30 percent survival rate.
Lung cancer patient Jennifer Hoppock didn't want major surgery.
"We're now using smaller, keyhole incisions and telescopes with long instruments," Dr. Michael Smith, thoracic surgeon, St. Joseph's Hospital.
Instead of an eight-inch incision between the ribs, surgeons make a few inch-long incisions and use a camera to find the tumor.
"I went back to work after three weeks," said Hoppock.
Two lung cancer patients-turned-survivors thanks to technology that's providing new options. The cyberknife and video-assisted thoracic surgery--or VATS for short - are available at Swedish Medical Center. The VATS procedure is also performed through the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance.

6 comments:

  1. The CyberKnife Radiosurgery is a non-invasive alternative to surgery for the treatment of both cancerous and non-cancerous tumors anywhere in the body, including the prostate,lung,brain,spine,liver,pancreas and kidney.The treatment–which delivers beams of high dose radiation to tumors with extreme accuracy–offers new hope to patients worldwide.

    visit:Radiosurgery India

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your writing style, great information, thankyou for posting. gpwlaw-mi.com/michigan-lung-cancer-lawyer/

    ReplyDelete
  3. No doubt this is an excellent post I got a lot of knowledge after reading good luck. Theme of blog is excellent there is almost everything to read, Brilliant post. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsYd-XGZlqU

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irrespective of receiving daily oral or future injectable depot therapies, these require health care visits for medication and monitoring of safety and response. If patients are treated early enough, before a lot of immune system damage has occurred, life expectancy is close to normal, as long as they remain on successful treatment. However, when patients stop therapy, virus rebounds to high levels in most patients, sometimes associated with severe illness because i have gone through this and even an increased risk of death. The aim of “cure”is ongoing but i still do believe my government made millions of ARV drugs instead of finding a cure. for ongoing therapy and monitoring. ARV alone cannot cure HIV as among the cells that are infected are very long-living CD4 memory cells and possibly other cells that act as long-term reservoirs. HIV can hide in these cells without being detected by the body’s immune system. Therefore even when ART completely blocks subsequent rounds of infection of cells, reservoirs that have been infected before therapy initiation persist and from these reservoirs HIV rebounds if therapy is stopped. “Cure” could either mean an eradication cure, which means to completely rid the body of reservoir virus or a functional HIV cure, where HIV may remain in reservoir cells but rebound to high levels is prevented after therapy interruption.Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.
    Hpv,All Cancer Types,Diabetes,Hepatitis,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara so i contacted him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / info@drituaherbalcenter.com. even talked on whatsapps +2348149277967 believe me it was easy i drank his herbal medicine for two weeks and i was cured just like that isn't Dr Itua a wonder man? Yes he is! I thank him so much so i will advise if you are suffering from one of those diseases Pls do contact him he's a nice man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure of the cause of COPD emphysema in my case. I smoked pack a day for 12 or 13 years, but quit 40 years ago. I have been an outdoor person all my adult life. Coughing started last summer producing thick mucus, greenish tint to clear. I tried prednisone and antibiotics, but no change. X-rays are negative, heart lungs and blood and serum chemistries all are normal. I have lung calcification from childhood bout with histoplasmosis. I am 75 years old and retired.My current doctor directed me to totalcureherbsfoundation .c om which I purchase the COPD herbal remedies from them ,they are located in Johannesburg, the herbal treatment has effectively reduce all my symptoms totally, am waiting to complete the 15 weeks usage because they guaranteed me total cure.

    ReplyDelete
  6.  I'm 59 years old and female. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago with COPD and I was beyond scared! My lung function test indicated 49% capacity. After having had flu a year ago, the shortness of breath, coughing and chest pains continued even after being treated with antibiotics. I've been smoking two packs a day for 36 years. Being born without a sternum caused my ribs to be curled in just one inch away from my spine, resulting to underdeveloped lungs. At age 34 I had surgery and it was fixed. Unfortunately my smoking just caused more damage to my already under developed lungs. The problem was having is that I enjoy smoking and don't want to give up! Have tried twice before and nearly went crazy and don't want to go through that again. I saw the fear in my husband and children's eyes when I told them about my condition then they start to find solution on their own to help my condition.I am an 59 now who was diagnose COPD emphysema which I know was from my years of smoking. I started smoking in school when smoking was socially acceptable. I remember when smoking was permitted in hospitals. It was not known then how dangerous cigarettes were for us, and it seemed everybody smoked but i was able to get rid of my COPD lung condition through the help of total cure herbal foundation my husband bought, totalcureherbsfoundation .c om has the right herbal formula to help you get rid and repair any lung conditions and cure you totally with their natural organic herbs,it class products at affordable prices because how awful it is with this lung dictions . I wish anybody who starts smoking at a young age would realize what will eventually happen to their bodies if they continue that vile habit throughout their life, certainly total cure herbs is the formula to get over Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.

    ReplyDelete